Are you a driven corporate financial professional and looking for a meaningful career in impact investment in the East Africa?
BiD Network is an independent trusted partner for SME’s in East Africa by facilitating tailored financial solutions throughout their life cycle. Our customers are early stage and growing businesses with a financing need of at least USD 50,000 up to USD 5M. Via our local offices in Uganda and Rwanda, we provide investment-readiness and dealmaking services to selected entrepreneurs that have at least $100.000 annual revenue, social impact, significant growth potential and a competent entrepreneurial team. Via these services, we are able to provide high quality deal flow to our large international network of investors, both private and institutional.
We currently have a small but growing team of 11 people with offices in Amsterdam, Kampala and Kigali. Since 2007, BiD Network has raised over $34 million in investment capital for over 235 entrepreneurs. In the next five years, we want to facilitate at least $100 million of investments for emerging market SME’s. This year, we are planning to finalize our transition from an NGO to a B-corp and expand our office network into the African region. In this context, we are looking for a:
Senior Investment Expert / Team Lead Uganda & Rwanda
BiD Network is seeking a Senior Investment Expert / Team Lead Uganda & Rwanda. You will be working in funding transactions mainly in Rwanda and Uganda, however, you may be assigned to other projects in East Africa on case by case basis.
An outstanding communicator with the ability to engage and grow the network of stakeholders at all levels, combined with great analytical and operational management skills. You will be part of Operations and Deal Making team to actively execute on its growth ambitions.
You will have the opportunity to work with entrepreneurs, partners and Management Team on tasks such as surveying the BiD focus sectors, developing the BiD Network pipeline, and evaluating specific opportunities. In addition, the role requires close interaction with the private and institutional investors such as VCs, and Impact Funds in our network. Therefore, proven local network of SME’s and investors is required.
Most of your time will be spent ‘in the business’ executing high- quality investment dealmaking, but you will also be managing our East African offices, currently consisting of 8 people, but rapidly growing.
This is a personally challenging role. You will have to find the right balance between:
- Implement operational excellence and upscaling
- Facilitate investment deals for our portfolio entrepreneurs
- Build a winning team in two separate offices
- Representation of BID Network and local stakeholder management
As a Senior Investment Expert / Team Lead Uganda & Rwanda,you will be working closely with Head of Deal Making and COO. Primary goal is to offer the best investment solution for the entrepreneur and facilitate as many good investment deals as possible while maintaining legally compliant operations and building a winning team. Within local offices you closely cooperate with senior professionals and receive significant deal evaluation and execution amid operational and management responsibilities. Besides daily operations, you will be assisting COO responsible for building a solid scalable and replicable model that is needed for our ambitious international expansion plans. Concrete responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Operations and Team Management (30-40%):
- Play a key role in continuously optimizing and professionalizing the organization
- Guidance, supervision and management of staff on building a winning global team.
- Financial management and reporting of East African Entities
- Ensure that BiD Network complies to rules and regulations in each jurisdiction we operate
- Managing the local staff and keeping them motivated whilst working under tight deadlines and delivering results
- Assisting COO in growing the regional presence hence the operational excellence is held high in the agenda. Our quality level shall not be impacted by our fast growth.
- Representing Bid Network and its affiliates in East Africa
- Working closely with the Bid Network management team in assessing business strategy, evaluating add-on investments and assessing opportunities in new and existing market.
- Coordinate periodic program reporting & documentation for Rwanda office.
Investment Deal Making (60-70%):
- Coordinate and lead local investment readiness & dealmaking activities by other team members:
- Keeping a close relationship with entrepreneurs in your region
- Sourcing and selecting deals in the East Africa
- Providing the top opportunities/ clientele to the Head of Deal Making
- Present investment propositions to BiD Network investors and facilitate the dealmaking process between BiD Network entrepreneurs and investors
- Collaborate with Head of Deal Making in growing the international network of institutional investors, banks and local private investors build a long-term relationship
- Support SME’s in structuring the investment deal and preparing investment documents
You have 5-8 years of working experience at a top-tier corporate finance advisor or investment organization. Working in a growth stage company with successful fundraising record is preferred. You have an exceptional academic achievement with a graduate degree from a top academic institution.
We are looking for a candidate that matches the following profile:
- Proven track record in closing deals end to end i.e. from sourcing the clients, structuring to signing the deal with investors
- Proven track record of leadership in a small, but rapidly growing team of professionals with diverse backgrounds and international expansion.
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant international experience in operational excellence and upscaling.
- An outstanding communicative person who likes to make the hands dirty while growing an organization.
- Impact driven with a strong commercial business acumen
- Self-starter with the ability to operate effectively with limited supervision and you have a high level of professional maturity and a solid work ethic.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills as well as strong modelling skills.
- Very high standards of integrity.
- Strong understanding of local business environment, investment regulations and laws.
- Proven active local network of SME’s and investors.
- Open to travel regularly.
BiD Network has offices in Amsterdam, Kampala and Kigali. As Senior Investment Expert / Team Lead Uganda & Rwanda you will be primarily based in the Uganda office but work closely together with the international management team of BiD Network, and report directly to the COO and dotted line to Head of Deal Making.
What do we offer
- MT member & potential co-founder.
- Dynamic and international working environment
- Offices in Kampala and Kigali
- Personal growth, and much responsibility/ accountability
- Get in-depth understanding of doing business in East Africa and build a strong network of investors worldwide.
- Salary based on qualification and experience
- Single package (no schooling, no relocation costs).
Please send your CV and brief motivation letter to email@example.com before 30 August 2018.