About BiD Network
Preparing emerging market entrepreneurs for investors
Mission & Goal
BiD Network aims to increase economic development in emerging markets through the mobilization of capital and knowledge to small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). By offering customized matchmaking and support services to both financers and entrepreneurs we aim to grow the number of businesses that can start, grow and expand.
Through our international network of local business centers, global business plan competitions and the use of an online entrepreneurial platform we locate businesses with a financing need of USD 10,000 to USD 500,000. BiD Network has experience in supporting entrepreneurs across multiple sectors, including clean energy, water and food & agriculture. Moreover, through 5 years of Women in Business competitions, BiD Network has built the network and the expertise to prepare women entrepreneurs from emerging markets for finance.
Our investor matchmakers, with the support of our partners and a strong and dedicated network of coaches, prepare entrepreneurs for investment so we can put together an attractive portfolio tailored to the interests of financiers in our network, consisting of business angels, SME funds, private foundations and banks. Additionally, we offer advisory services on how to set up deal flow sourcing, mentoring, investor services and business angel networks in emerging markets.
History & Results
From 2007 to date BiD Network received over 4,000 full business plans, of which more than 400 are ready for finance and included in our investor matchmaking portfolio. Almost 200 matches between entrepreneurs and investors were made for a value of over USD 22 million. Our network of investors consists of more than 200 Business Angels (informal investors) and SME funds. The results of our annual impact surveys show that over 1,000 known SMEs managed to successfully start or expand, creating directly more than 6,000 recognized full-time jobs.
To further boost results BiD Network developed a new web service, bidx.net, which was launched in November 2013. Bidx offers online portals to SME intermediaries such as banks, incubators, accelerators, funds, chambers of commerce, accountants, lawyers and consultants. These portals allow intermediaries to attract and build their own online communities of SMEs, investors and mentors. The entrepreneurs are matched with mentors for advice, and with investors for finance and coaching. SMEs are also matched with one another to become each other’s buyers and suppliers.
In November 2010, the prestigious G20 SME Finance Challenge prize was awarded to bidx. US President Barack Obama and the then HRH princess Maxima of the Netherlands, personally congratulated founder Thierry Sanders and offered their support to start the online platform for emerging market SMEs and investors. The first to invest in bidx was Putera Sampoerna, one of Indonesia’s most successful entrepreneurs. The G20 and the Nationale Postcode Loterij followed by funding the start of the organization.
Tools & Services
BiD Network offers a range of tools and services, both on and offline, to support entrepreneurs, investors, coaches and partners. Amongst our services are:
- Sourcing of emerging market SMEs, together with local business identification partners, tailored to the interests of our investor network.
- 10+ years of experience in organizing business plan competitions for emerging market entrepreneurs in different countries and sectors.
- Offering online portals for creating and managing online entrepreneurial communities for SMEs, coaches and investors in different countries and sectors.
- The Ready4Finance training to support SMEs in their startup, growth and access to finance.
- The Ready2Invest training for investors to finance SMEs in emerging markets.
- Coaching support entrepreneurs in emerging markets, through a network of accredited and voluntary coaches.
- Qualified investor and business matchmaking between finance-ready entrepreneurs and investors.
- Monitoring, coaching and supporting entrepreneurs by us and our in-country partners after they have been matched to investors.